EGOS 2023 – Cagliari, Italy
Subtheme 24: "Career Imagination and Institutional Legacy"
We are pleased to bring to your notice the sub-theme on "Career Imagination and Institutional Legacy," which we are convening at the European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS) 39th annual colloquium in Cagliari, Italy, July 6-8, 2023.
Our purpose is to bring together researchers interested in the intersection of careers and institutions, building on the stimulating and enriching sessions on careers and institutions at previous EGOS meetings in Tallinn and Amsterdam (virtual). Our expectation is that sharing diverse work focused specifically on the intersection between careers and institutions will be generative in a way that is distinct from a broader track focused on either careers or on institutions. We anticipate that discussions across different perspectives, coming from largely distinct research communities in careers and in institutional theory, will stimulate new directions for theory and research. We plan to emphasize empirical work in this sub-theme, though we welcome theory work that brings new insight to study of careers and institutions.
Some possible topics for papers in the sub-theme include, but are not limited to:
- Exploring how organizations or institutions can imagine individuals' careers as vehicles for a good life
- Discovering how people's career experiences and job mobility can expose them to a multiplicity of institutional logics (e.g. how people carry new logics with them when they move between countries, industries, or societal sectors)
- Understanding how career trajectories and legacy structures enable or constrain action to build more inclusive and sustainable institutions
- Showing how individuals imagine their career futures as they cope with radical or unanticipated institutional change that disrupts their careers
- Examining how institutionalized career templates form or re-form as individuals craft their careers in pursuit of good lives.
If you are interested in joining us, we encourage you to submit a short paper (3,000 words) before January 10, 2023. You can access the call for papers and find a link to upload submissions here:
EGOS Subtheme 24: Career Imagination and Institutional Legacy
Please contact any of us if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing what you're working on!
Bayes Business School - City, University of London, United Kingdom
University of California, Davis, USA
University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom