Discussion: View Thread

Looking for hosts for my sabbatical 2024-2025

• 1.  Looking for hosts for my sabbatical 2024-2025

Posted 02-07-2024 07:28
      |   view attached
    Dear all,
    Starting October 1st, 2024 I have 1 year in which I will not have to teach or have any other localized duties at KU Leuven. This is me: https://www.kuleuven.be/wieiswie/en/person/00073704

What I would like to do on sabbatical:
    The tentative plan is to write a book with the working title Destroyers/Builders, about the generative vs. destructive potential of new workplace technologies like AI, intelligent robotics, and neuro-/bio-engineering. The goal would be to create a documentary-style multiple-case study of different applications of such technologies in different countries in the world. I think we are hearing a lot in the media about these technologies, but very concrete cases of what their application and consequences (good or bad) look like in the workplace are less visible in the public domain. I would like to observe & publicly share a broad range of such concrete applications. The technologies could be in the testing/lab development stage, or already implemented in a specific occupation or industry. Any ideas? 

Do you know any interesting cases in your country? Or could you put me in touch with someone who does? 

The hosts would ideally be local universities or business schools. I could either work independently on a local case, or together with a professor or researcher at that school. In addition to the book, I imagine it will also be possible to co-write an article with a local host on a more focused aspect of one or more local cases. Ideally I'd like to go to multiple countries and stay a few weeks or months in each.
    Of course I'd love to do a keynote or guest lecture(s) on the topic of the future of work and/or disruptive workplace technologies wherever I am welcome! 

Destinations I have been thinking about so far are Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Australia, and Canada. I've also been very interested in large-scale strikes in relation to AI, like the SAG/AFTRA/WGA strikes in Hollywood. But, I am open to hearing about any cases (the more exotic/unknown the better) in any country!
    PS: Of course I already know plenty of AOM people around the world. But I'm interested in exploring where I might end up if I choose destinations based on the most interesting cases, rather than planning my sabbatical around pre-existing contacts. (And I also believe people I already know may be working on topics I'm not aware of!) 

Feel free to share this call ✈

I can be reached at nicky.dries@kuleuven.be

Example of a recent paper: https://journals.aom.org/doi/10.5465/amd.2022.0130 (one-page summary attached)

------------------------------
    Nicky Dries
    KU Leuven & BI Norwegian Business School
    Leuven
    +32 16 32 68 68
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)

pdf
    AMD_2023_paper_summary.pdf   269 KB 1 version