Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Where do publish in CAR?

Posted 05-11-2023 16:54
    Edited by Joseph Gladstone 05-11-2023 16:55

Hello, Everyone,

In this post I'm going to be completely open that I'm an absolute neophyte in the Careers area and take my newbie status as liberty to write frankly and casually about my ignorance in this area and my need to transform my lack of skill in Careers research and writing into something constructive and productive.

I'm discovering that a lot of my work appears to fall within the Careers domain. However I wasn't formally trained in studying and writing about careers, so I'm not familiar at all with where to send my work for peer review, let alone the current discussions within this academic area. 

In short, I need some advice, a primer basically, in careers as a scholarship area. I am not attending AOM this year, so PDWs are out.

Specifically, I'm working with a colleague qualitatively exploring academic careers of academic faculty from underrepresented populations. Where can I publish this stuff and what interesting things should I be looking for? In case there are tips buried deep in this discussion area, where will I find them?

Thanks!

Joe

------------------------------
    Joseph Gladstone
    Associate Professor
    Washington State University - Everett
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Where do publish in CAR?

Posted 05-12-2023 07:42

Dear Joe,

Welcome to the Careers community.

We have many people studying and publishing on careers, and it is a very enthusiastic and supportive community. Do come to the AOM in the future.

As for academic careers, I can offer you some papers on the issue – see below.

As for where to aim in terms of journals, there are several career focused journals (e.g.), and some HRM journals and general OB journals open to publish on careers.

Major journals focusing on careers:

Journal of Vocational Behavior

Career Development International

Career Development Quarterly

General HRM are: HRM; HRMJ; IJHRM; to start with

General OB journals to fit: JOB, Human Relations

Much depends on the quality – contribution of the paper.

Good luck

Yours

Yehuda

My relevant paper:

Baruch Y. & Hall, D. T. (2004). Preface for the JVB special issue on careers in academia. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 64(2), 237-240.

Baruch, Y. & Hall, D. T. (2004). The academic career: A model for future careers in other sectors? Journal of Vocational Behavior, 64(2), 241-262.

Baruch, Y. (2013). Careers in Academe: The Academic Labour Market as an Eco-System. Career Development International, 18(2), 196-210.

Kindsiko, E. & Baruch, Y. (2019). Careers of PhD graduates: The role of chance events and how to manage them. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 112, 122-140.

Altman, Y., Baruch, Y., Zoghbi-Manrique de Lara, P., & Viera-Armas, M. (2020). Baby Boomers at the Cusp of their Academic Career: Storming ahead, Hanging on, or Calling it a day. Studies in Higher Education, 45(7), 1335-1350. doi: 10.1080/03075079.2019.1610864

Baruch, Y., Point, S, & Humbert, A. L. (2020). Factors related to knowledge creation and career outcomes in French academia. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 19(2), 147-167. doi: 10.5465/amle.2018.0028

BTW – not all is great in Careers – see:

Baruch, Y. & Vardi, Y. (2016). A fresh look at the dark side of contemporary careers: Toward a realistic discourse. British Journal of Management, 27(2), 355-372. doi: 10.1111/1467-8551.12107

For others' work see:

Dany, F., Louvel, S. & Valette, A. (2011). Academic careers: The limits of the 'boundaryless approach' and the power. Human Relations, 64, 971-996.

Kirchmeyer, C. (2005). The effects of mentoring on academic careers over time: Testing performance and political perspectives. Human relations, 58, 637-669.

Kraimer, M. L., Greco, L., Seibert, W. E. & Sargent, L. D. (2019). An Investigation of Academic Career Success: The New Tempo of Academic Life. Academy of Management Learning & Education, 18(2), 128-152.  doi: 10.5465/amle.2017.0391

Richardson, J., & Zikic, J. (2007). The darker side of an international academic career. Career Development International12(2), 164-186.

Valle, M. & Schultz, K. (2011). The etiology of top-tier publications in management: A status attainment perspective on academic career success. Career Development International, 16, 3, 220-237.seibert

Apologies for the many others who published on academic careers that I missed mentioned.

Dr Yehuda Baruch, FAcSS, FBAM

Professor of Management

Southampton Business School

University of Southampton

Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK

And

Affiliated Professor, Audencia Business School, France

Author: Managing Careers & Employability (2022) Sage.

Recent papers:

Baruch, Y. & Rousseau, D. M. (2019). Integrating Psychological Contracts and their Stakeholders in Career Studies and Management. The Academy of Management Annals, 13(1), 84-111.

Guo, L. & Baruch, Y. (2020). The moderating role of a city's institutional capital and people's migration status on career success in China. Human Relations, 74(5) 678–704.

Hart, D. & Baruch, Y. (2022). The Dynamics of Diplomatic Careers: The Shift from Traditional to Contemporary Careers. Human Resource Management, 61(2), 259-276.